All You Need to Know About the Evolution of Microwave Ovens
Today, You and I, probably cannot live without a microwave oven in our house. The evolution journey of microwaves has been truly interesting. Let’s have a look at how it all really started and what’s the way forward.
How It All Started
- The microwave was first invented in 1945, by an engineer, Percy Spencer. He started experiments and used the radar to pop popcorns and cook an egg.
- The first microwave oven was released in 1945 to the public and was then known as a Radarange.
- It stood more than 5 feet off the ground, weighed 750 pounds, cost more than $5,000 and used 3 kilowatts of power, almost three times as much as the typical household microwave uses today.
The Microwaves Oven of Today
- It was twenty years before an affordable and economical microwave oven became available for sale.
- By 1980 Microwaves were efficient, practical and viable for household use.
- Microwaves have since evolved and become multi-purpose electronic devices with various functions.
The Future of Cooking
- The future of microwave ovens is the inverter technology that modulates the level of energy being transmitted by the oven to achieve a consistent level. This means that microwave can be a real substitute to a gas stove for cooking purposes.
- Pakistani brands like Dawlance are working on this and hope to soon introduce invertor microwaves that are smarter appliances.
- Dawlance is also currently working on adding a separate sterilization feature to enhance this newly explored usage of a microwave oven.